Sunday, April 17, 2011
Special Assignment: Mr. McClung's World
1. What do you know (or have you found out) about Mr. McClung that is reflected in the way he has constructed his class blog?
The use of technology in Mr. McClung's classroom is fantastic. Mr. McClung is very active and patient with his 8th graders. His methods and ways of teaching go beyond that of what other teachers normally do. Mr. McClung is very active with his students parents as well, not to mention he is very organized too. He is the type of teacher who is willing to do almost anything for his students.
2.) Comment on what you would say about Mr. McClung as an educator.
Mr. McClung is a fantastic teacher. He seems to be the type of teacher who will do almost anything for his students. Mr. McClung reaches out to the parents as well, which is a great thing for any instructor to do!
3. I asked above that you read Mr. McClung's "rules" and think about them. What do they say about Mr. McClung, his teaching, and his connection with his students? What is your reaction to these rules (and guides) as a student and as an aspiring teacher?
Mr. McClung's rules are excellent! Rule 4 states: make smart choices. Mr. McClung seems to keep his class focused and that in return, brings back positive learning outcomes.
4. What was the first thing under Everyone needs? Why do you suppose that is the first requirement?
Day Planner. Mr. McClung is teaching his students how to plan and that they should become responsible for their assignments they turn in. Planning teaches students, as well as anyone for the matter, how to become "responsible" and to learn to time-manage.
5. Note the penalties for being late (under Homework). Compare them with my penalties for being late. Comment.
You will lose a letter grade for everyday that the assignment is late. You will be given the same amount of time to turn in your assignment if you had missed school. In EDM310, late work is unacceptable as you can get a "D" for work that is late.
6. Read carefully his paragraph about what he hopes to accomplish with his blog. Comment and apply to your own aspirations as a teacher.
He wants to make sure his students are actively involved in their schoolwork. As well, he wants to make sure the parents are actively involved as well by them visiting the blog to see what is going on in the students classroom.
8. Under Internet Safety I asked you to read carefully the rules Mr. McClung sets forth for safely using the internet. Comment on these rules. Are there any you would add or subtract?
Mr. McClung's internet safety rules are awesome. He wants all of his students to be safe whilst using the internet and to me, that is fantastic! I don't see anything I would change as to me, Mr. McClung covers it all.
10. Mr. McClung uses Edublog as his blog host. In some ways it may seem more "advanced." But Blogger has many abilities that we have not covered in EDM310. This leads to this question: Is there anything (or things) that Mr. McClung can do with his blog that you would like to do in Blogger?
I love using Blogger now that I have learned all about it. Blogging is an excellent way for people to communicate back and forth to each other. I wish I had a "chat" button in my blogger though, that would be great to have!
11. In what ways does Mr. McClung make his blog useful to parents, teachers, administrators, students like you, and others?
Mr. McClung posts his assignments, rules, policies, information about himself, and other useful tools to better prepare his students and their parents for what is expected in his classroom. Mr. McClung makes sure his students parents are always up to date on everything they do in the classroom and he seems to be the type of teacher who calls his students parents as well to keep in touch.
12. How does Mr. McClung's 8th grade blog differs from other blogs you have visited including other 8th grade blogs? Why the differences do you think?
Mr. McClung pushes his students to do better. He is always on top of them to learn as much as they can about technology and blogging, etc... He is actively involved in what they do and how they do it.
13. dd any additional comments you think would be useful in analyzing Mr. McClung's World in depth.
No additional comments. I can't think of anything else Mr. McClung can do to improve his blog, or anything else.