Sunday, May 1, 2011

Blog Post #14 Special Assignment on Metaphors

Metaphors posters


1.) Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor? Being honest, I thought the topic was about pencils. I think the class missed the point probably because we all just read the assignment without actually going into depth about it.

2.) What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them? I have encountered numerous metaphors in my life, such as: "old as a door," "dead as a log," "jump for joy," "pinning the tail on the donkey," "hitting the nail on the head," "silly as a goose," "going the extra mile," to name a few.

3.) What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors? Many metaphors I do not get, but I try to understand them to the best of my ability. Googling is a first step to find out what a metaphor might mean, followed by asking others around me.

4.) Why do we use metaphors? Metaphors are used to state a point without having to actually say it to begin with. Metaphors allow us to say something in a humorous way without sounding too harsh. Metaphors can be used lots of different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment